More on Why Jericho Was Taken Out Of Casket Match vs Undertaker
Friday, May 11, 2018
It was previously reported that Chris Jericho was taken out of the Casket Match versus The Undertaker after being placed there to replace Rusev. There are more details involving WWE's multiple changes with the Casket Match at the Greatest Royal Rumble Event in Saudi Arabia last month. As we all know by now, the match was originally scheduled as Rusev vs. The Undertaker, before changing it to Chris Jericho vs. The Undertaker, until Rusev was ultimately added back to the match.
As a courtesy to Vince McMahon because Jericho wants to keep a good relationship with the WWE, he told the company that he was going to Fukuoka to shoot another angle with New Japan to set up his match with Naito at their upcoming Dominion Event. Just hours after telling Vince of his plans, Jericho was told that the Prince of Saudi Arabia asked for Rusev in the match instead of him so they were going to take him out and go with the originally planned match.
Given that the Prince had requested a lot of stars from years back (The Undertaker, Yokozuna, Ultimate Warrior & Hulk Hogan), this seems hard to believe that he would have also asked for Rusev on the exact day that Jericho told Vince of his New Japan plans. Ultimately, all this suggests that Vince was likely not thrilled that Jericho was continuing a relationship with New Japan, even though he is a free agent and can do whatever he wants.
Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter