Meltzer Star Ratings for WrestleMania & NXT Takeover: New Orleans
Saturday, April 14, 2018
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer has been one of the top professional wrestling journalists for several years now, and his newsletter continues to break new stories and information about the wrestling industry on a consistent basis. However, he has become just as well known by wrestling fans due to the star ratings that he assigns the matches that he sees. Meltzer has already given some high honors to a few matches from 2018, including Johnny Gargano and Andrade "Cien" Almas' five-star match from NXT Takeover: Philadelphia, as well as Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho's five star match from NJPW's WrestleKindom 12 show. However, Meltzer has named his ratings for the WWE matches which took place in New Orleans last week.
NXT Takeover: New Orleans has been cited as being one of the best NXT events in the history of WWE's developmental brand by fans, and the Wrestling Observer seems to agree.
- The Observer gave the North American Championship ladder match a five-star rating.
- Ember Moon vs. Shayna Baszler for the NXT Women's Championship received 3.25 stars, as did the NXT Tag Team Championship match between Pete Dunne & Roderick Strong, The Undisputed Era, and The Authors of Pain.
- The NXT Championship match between Andrade "Cien" Almas and Aleister Black has eared 4.25 stars.
- Finally, the main event match between Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa was awarded another 5 star rating.
- As for WrestleMania, the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal and WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal both received 1.5 stars.
- Braun Strowman & Nicholas vs. The Bar earned 1 star while John Cena vs. The Undertaker got 1.25 stars.
- The New Day vs. The Usos vs. The Bludgeon Brothers got 2 stars.
- Bobby Roode vs. Randy Orton vs. Rusev vs. Jinder Mahal received 2.75 stars, as did the Raw Women's Championship match between Nia Jax and Alexa Bliss.
- Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali and Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar both got 3 stars.
- Daniel Bryan's return match with Shane McMahon against Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens earned 3.5 stars, as did the match between The Miz, Finn Balor, and Seth Rollins.
- The Observer awarded the WWE Championship match between AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura 3.75 stars.
- Charlotte vs. Asuka received 4 stars.
- The highest rated match went to the mixed tag team match featuring Kurt Angle & Ronda Rousey going up against Triple H & Stephanie McMahon, which the Observer gave 4.25 stars.