Hideo Itami Update, Broken Universe, Andre the Giant Battle Royal
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
Hideo Itami competed in NXT for several years before he was called up to the main roster as a member of the 205 Live roster last year. The man formerly known as KENTA in Japan lost a match to Roderick Strong on 205 Live last night, thus costing him his shot to fight for the Cruiserweight Championship at WrestleMania. Fans grew worried when Itami posted a cryptic message on social media recently stating "it's over." Some wondered if this meant that he is finishing up his time in WWE and will be heading back to Japan soon. However, Itami posted another tweet just hours later by stating "but not done yet." It looks like Hideo Itami is not going anywhere for quite some time.
Fans of Matt Hardy's original "Broken" gimmick rejoiced when Impact President Ed Nordholm announced that the promotion was no longer interested in owning the gimmick. Trademarks for most of the terms associated with the character officially fell under the ownership of Matt Hardy earlier this week. Sports Illustrated's Justin Barrasso recently reported that Impact decided not to pursue ownership of the characters due to financial reasons. Fear of a possible lawsuit against Impact or Pop TV caused them to back down from the fight. It is also being said that Jeff Jarrett was mostly responsible for demanding ownership of the characters. Jarrett's disapproval of the "Broken Universe" is said to be a major contribution to Hardy's decision to leave Impact last year.
As usual, it is expected that WWE will be hosting another Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal during WrestleMania this year. Unlike past year's it is being reported that the winner of this year's battle royal may be getting quite a push afterwards. According to PWInsider, whoever the winner of the match turns out to be will be emphasized on for quite a while. This is due to the fact that HBO's documentary on Andre the Giant just so happens to coincide with WrestleMania this year. Director Bill Simmons is reportedly a fan of WWE, and the company is hoping to work with HBO and Simmons on more projects if the documentary is successful. The battle royal and the documentary will be premiering in April.